Friday, October 31, 2014

Monkey business" Raymond Anthony Fernando writes to the press: Monkey nuisance at HDB blocks

My letter to The Straits Times on the above matter is published today, Friday 31st October 2014.

Several months ago, I raised the issue of monkeys causing havoc at my HDB block and the surrounding ones in Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 to the National Environment Agency (NEA).

Just across my block is a small forest, from which the monkeys venture out to look for food in the wee hours of the morning and at night.

Sadly, nothing concrete has been done.  The NEA says it “can’t find and catch them”.

On Wednesday afternoon, a rather big monkey entered my flat through the front gate. I was using the computer in my room and got the shock of my life when I saw it.

I yelled at the monkey and it ran into the kitchen, jumped out the window and climbed up to the higher floors.

I do not want to come home to find a monkey under my bed, or have to look over my shoulder all the time.  Residents need to have peace of mind.

There are many elderly residents as well as a childcare centre in my block, and the monkeys could pose a threat to the old folk and young children.

While I understand that monkeys can be very elusive, there must be an all-out effort to stop this nuisance.

Raymond Anthony Fernando
 

P.S: I hope this problem can be resolved because the safety of the residents must be top priority. There must be better teamwork for all ministries. With the LTA now building the MRT lines near my place (Lentor Road), the noise generated could cause stress to the monkeys and they run out.  In addition,the forested area opposite my block has so many large trees and the monkeys can hide inside.  Right now for my safety, I have to close up all the windows and the front door, and with the Home Improvement Programme (HIP) being planned for year-end, it is going to be very unhealthy and stuffy. Which is not good for one's health. The MPs and the mayor must take a vested interest in the welfare of its residents.  Many a time it is not that we don't want to take care of our health , but it is the environment in itself that is unhealthy.

No comments: