Monday, December 23, 2019

Raymond Anthony Fernando’s letter to The Straits Times: Yellow sticker is very useful, and not just to get a seat



 


While it is true that we need to be considerate and compassionate, I do not agree that the Land Transport Authority's (LTA) "yellow sticker" initiative is unnecessary (No need for sticker, just ask for a seat, Dec 19).


From what I have read in the media, asking people to give up their seats may end up in arguments and even fights because not everyone is kind.


The LTA has rightly pointed out in its bus display boards that some people may not show visible signs of mobility issues, and do not use walking sticks or wheelchairs,


I have osteoarthritis in both knees but have not come to the stage of using mobility aids.


I have found that the yellow sticker is very effective - people will give up their seats to me. Some will even help carry my bag when I walk up the stairs, while others will hold my hand to help me cross the road.

Raymond Anthony Fernando

 


 

 

I’d like to add this:

Whether the yellow sticker is worn or not, I have noticed on several occasions that the foreign construction workers from India and Bangladesh will willingly offer their seats to the elderly even though they carry out back-breaking work and are dead tired. I have benefited from their kindness.

 

♦ LTA & MOT can offer this option:  As the yellow stickers are made of paper, it tends to fall off clothing.   

 

One idea can spring board to yet another idea, so I purchased a small badge, costing $1.20 and stuck the yellow sticker onto it, and it does not fall off anymore.

 

Several seniors, including a Malay elderly lady in a wheelchair have approached me about the yellow stickers on how I managed to keep it intact.  I shared with all of them how I went about it, for I believe in sharing.

No comments: