Saturday, February 9, 2019

Reaching out with the power of unconditional love: My Valentine’s Day article 2019



Love is not always about boy-girl relationships, it has to be much more than that.
 
This Valentine’s Day, I will put a spin to the love celebration by giving unconditional love to several groups who include children, those with special needs and the lonely elderly?  
 
In many parts of the world, millions of people face severe financial problems and encounter natural disasters that causes havoc where lives and property are lost –in such a cruel way.
 
I have learnt so much about compassion, empathy and kindness through my family, especially my late mother, Mr Pearl Fernando late wife, Doris Lau youngest brother – Terence; and through the wonderful support of a few kind friends who not only support my books, but give me lots of encouragement.   
 
As caring citizens, we need to look out for one another and if we have a skill – share it.
 
For myself, in particular, I use the ‘power of the pen’ to help those in need and those who struggle with illnesses, and especially those who have life-threatening illnesses. The key word is INVOLVEMENT.  
 
It’s not possible for me to save the whole world, but just imagine if every one of us do our part to give love and support to one another, we can score up there as God is the ‘Silent Listener.’
 
It takes 30 days to build a tank, but 30 years is needed to build a man.
 
Recently, I bumped into a neighbor of mine and was shocked to see him looking so thin and haggard. He was totally despondent and discouraged as life has been very hard on him.  I gave him lots of encouragement, got some details of his plight and assured him that I would write to our Member of Parliament (MP) and his compassionate Constituency Director.
 
Within a jiffy my neighbour received a phone call from the   Constituency Director assuring him that help will be rendered. My neighbour was so uplifted as a ‘Ray of Hope’ was on the horizon!
 
Education is foundational: That is what my parents instilled in all their 6 children.   My mother loved all her children and when dad lost his job through a near fatal accident, mom worked tirelessly as a washerwoman to put ‘food on our table.’ These are just one of the memories of mom that so often brings tears to my eyes.  
 
As a staunch advocate for the needy, inspired by the nourishment and love which I received from my late wife for 40 years, I now focus on reaching out to the poor and needy in and out of Singapore.
 
As I celebrate my 69th birthday come 14th February 2019, I would like to make every effort to improve the lives of people across many lands. 
 
Some of the goals I would like to accomplish during my twilight years include:
 
♦ Teaching poetry to children in the orphanages within Singapore and abroad – such as in Calapan City, one of the provinces in the Philippines.
 
I would be more than happy to train people such as drug addicts, prisoners serving time and Filipinos to write their own stories so that these citizens too will be able to build a writing career for themselves. I believe everyone of us has a book inside of us, especially those who are going through challenges in life.
Book writing cannot bring tons of money, but once you have a writing skill, you can slowly but surely build a career and contribute to the literary culture of the country you live in.
 
♦ Give motivational talks on mental illness, specifically on schizophrenia and depression all over Singapore, and in some ASEAN countries, such as Malaysia, Philippines and Indonesia where mental illness is growing – by leaps and bounds.
 
 I hope that Voluntary Welfare Organizations (VWOs) will partner me to works towards this goal.
 
These somewhat ambitious plans of mine will not be easy to achieve, but it’s still possible given the “never-day die” attitude in me, coupled with Divine Inspiration from the Good Lord.
 
Happy Valentine’s Day 2019 folks!
 
Sincerely,
 
Raymond Anthony Fernando
 
 

No comments: